LL.M. (Chuo University, Tokyo - 1992)
Eric Resler started his career with a leading international law firm (now named Linklaters Brussels), then spent five years in Japan as a comparative law researcher and post-graduate law student in Chuo University (with a scholarship from the Japanese Government), and as a foreign legal consultant in a Japanese international law firm. He then resumed his practice of Belgian business law in Brussels and subsequently joined the former network of correspondent law firms of PriceWaterhouseCoopers for five years.
At that time, Eric developed, a.o., special expertise in the streamlining of multinationals' business activities internationally, focusing on the centralization of risk and management (by means of a wide variety of creative services agreements) or on intellectual property migration in order to improve operational efficiency and global tax position (in co-operation with tax experts). By so doing, he gained considerable experience in the coordination of large international restructuring and other legal projects and in the management of legal teams in various countries.
After that enriching experience, Eric returned to a more traditional practice of business law.
He has taught Modern Japanese Law at the Catholic University of Leuven (KUL) and is a longstanding member of the Belgium-Japan Chamber of Commerce (Legal & Tax Committee and Cultural Committee).
Eric is a general business lawyer with over 30 years’ professional experience in a variety of areas, with in-depth expertise in:
- national and international distribution,
- general commercial domestic and international transactions,
- optimization of multinationals’ business activities,
- intellectual property,
- assisting Japanese clients in accordance with their specific needs.
- designing the most appropriate international distribution structure (agency, commissionaire/undisclosed agency, buy-sell, franchising, etc.), including as regards the choice of law;
- advising on distribution and intellectual property protection in Japan as well as Japan related commercial transactions and dispute resolution, in cooperation with Japanese legal correspondents;
- assisting Japanese clients in Belgium with all their needs (including general corporate, work permits and professional cards, employment, real estate and dispute resolution).
Eric is popular with clients to whom he provides strategic advice, reassurance and expertise in dealing with their complex problems and especially thrives on high value and high-profile cases.